Pre 1400
- 1400s - 1500s - 1600s - 1700s
1800s - 1810s - 1820s - 1830s - 1840s - 1850s - 1860s - 1870s - 1880s - 1890s
1900s - 1910s - 1920s - 1930s - 1940s - 1950s - 1960s - 1970s - 1980s - 1990s - 2000s

If you would like to include an entry then e-mail us the details.

All text and images on this page remain the copyright of Sean James Cameron. Copyright 2003.

PRE-1400 .... Return to Top
People live on the mountain tops over looking Blaenrhondda on the Rhigos mountain.

1400 - 1499 .... Return to Top
Land is cleared and crops are planted in the valley. A number of farms and small communities (Penyrenglyn and Ystrad) have been established and a Church is built at Ton Pentre.

1536 .... Return to Top
Wales becomes part of England in the eyes of the law on the request of a Welsh petition to Henry VIII.

Edward VI gives land to William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke and Baron of Cardiff.

1800 .... Return to Top
Population of Rhondda is 542.

1840 .... Return to Top
Libanus Chapel (Treherbert) holds its first service on January 22.

April 19: Mr W. S. Clark, Chief Mining Surveyor to the Marquees of Bute signs an agreement for Lord Bute for the purchase of Cwmsaerbren for £9,000.

1851 .... Return to Top
Bute Merthyr Colliery (Treherbert), steam coal seams, is opened. Owned by the Marquees of Bute.

January 15: Fifty copies of building ground plans for Treherbert Cwmsaerbren are issued. Historically, this is the first use of 'Treherbert' noted.

The first rows of houses are built. These are Bute Street (Treherbert), Dumfries Street (Treherbert) and Baglan Street (Penyrenglyn).

Ynysfeio Colliery (Penyrenglyn), bituminous seams, opens. Owners are Thomas, Cope and Lewis.

December 21: First wagons of coal are transported to Cardiff Gelligaled now known as Ystrad. They were hauled from Cwmsaerbren (Treherbert) to Gelligaled by carts.

August 7: Treherbert Mineral Service commences on the Taff Vale Railway Line.

The first meetings of Carmel Chapel are held above the Castle Hotel in Bute Street (Treherbert).

September 6 (Sunday): Treherbert Riots at Treherbert Square and the Bute Arms Public House.

March 20: Carmel Chapel holds its first service in their newly-built chapel on Baglan Street (Penyrenglyn).

1867 .... Return to Top
St Mary the Virgin Church is erected in Treherbert.

The Rhondda Valley and Hirwaun Junction Railway is opened.

1870 .... Return to Top
Treherbert Police Station is opened.

Treorchy Cemetery opens.

The Rhondda Valley and Hirwaun Junction Railway closes.

A lease is granted to build the Tynewydd Hotel.

1880 .... Return to Top
Education becomes compulsory.

Blaenrhondda School is built for 153 children and 160 infants.

1891 .... Return to Top
November 9: St Albans Church (Tynewydd) is erected at a cost of £1,600.

The Welsh language is accepted as a class subject in schools.

Parc and Dare Workmen's Institute (Treorchy) opens.

December 14: The Rhondda and Swansea Bay Railway Line opens at Blaencwm.

Treorchy Eisteddfod.

Treherbert Band was formed. [web-link]

December 2: The Rhondda Leader newspaper is first published.

1901 .... Return to Top
Population of Rhondda is 113,735.

The body of a young boy is found on the mountainside above Blaenrhondda
. (Report)

September: Extension of the tram service from Llwynypia to Treherbert.

1910 .... Return to Top
Blaenrhondda to Llyn Reservoir tunnel is officially opened.

June 27: King George V and Queen Mary visit Treherbert while on a visit to Rhondda.

1920 .... Return to Top
A war memorial is erected in Clyngwyn Road in Blaenrhondda.

Owing to poor attendance All Saints Church (Mary Street, Penyrenglyn) begins conducting their Evening Song in English. Morning Service remains in Welsh.

Treherbert A.F.C. are in the Welsh League

April 19: Foundations are laid for Treherbert Cottage Hospital.

May: Ynysfeio Railway Bridge crossing Baglan Street (Penyrenglyn) is officially opened by Councillor Rhys Morgan.

Ebenezer Chapel (Tynewydd) is rebuilt.

1936 .... Return to Top
Treherbert Open-Air Swimming Pool opens.

Outbreak of World War II.

1944 .... Return to Top
February 5: Treherbert and surrounding areas are plunged into darkness for seven hours following the main electric wire installation being damaged by a gale.

March 11: Carmel Chapel Augmented Ladies' Choir is formed by Mr Arthur Morgan.

June 6: Allied invasion of Normandy.

Blaencwm people form a choral society, later to be known as Selsig Amateur Operatic Society.

Blaenrhondda Carnival. Doreen Beasley was crowned as Carnival Queen.

1954 - 1955 .... Return to Top
Diesel trains replace steam trains on the railways.

1963 - 1964 .... Return to Top
Fernhill Houses (Blaenrhondda) are demolished.

St Mary the Virgin Church (Treherbert) is demolished.

1970 .... Return to Top
The Gaiety Cinema in Bute Street (Treherbert) is demolished. [Now the site of 'Treherbert Spar Store']

December 27: Blaencwm is flooded after heavy rain.

1984 .... Return to Top
South Wales Miners' Strike

Local gardener Ivor Mace breaks the World Record for the Heaviest Kelsae Onion at 8lb 13.5oz, winning him an entry into the Guinness Book of Records.

1990 .... Return to Top
First staging of 'Down Memory Lane'. An exhibition of old photographs of the area.

March 31: D. H. Powells Ladies & Gents Hairdressers, the last shop on Dunraven Street (Treherbert) closes at 1pm.

February 3: Carmel Chapel Young Wives (Penyrenglyn) celebrate their 300th meeting with a fish supper from Ted's Super Bar (Bute Street, Treherbert).

Population of Rhondda is 78,504.

Treherbert and District Forum is formed as a group that improves the local community.

Blaencwm, Dunraven and Blaenrhondda Schools are closed. (Dunraven School was later demolished)

May 7: Local chemist and County Councillor Mr Geraint Davies is the first Rhondda Assembly Member to be elected to the National Assembly of Wales.

July 1: Powers transfer from Westminster to the National Assembly of Wales.

December 11: Treherbert Cottage Hospital is demolished after a fire.

St Albans Church (Tynewdd) is closed.

2000 .... Return to Top
Treherbert and District Gardening Society celebrate their 40th Summer Show.

November 3: 'Treherbert on the Web' is launched.

March 8: Penyrenglyn Infants School is set ablaze by a local teenager. The damage was so bad that the building was demolished. (images)

May 5 - 14: Penyrenglyn Juniors School is demolished. While the school was being demolished local children claim to have taken a photograph on their mobile phone of a 'ghostly' figure in the school grounds. (images)

May 8: A plaque is unveiled to the memory and work of Blaencwm born novelist Mr Ron Berry. The plaque was unveiled at noon in Michaels Road (Blaencwm) by Alan Richards, author and friend of Mr Berry. Professor Dai Smith of the University of Glamorgan introduced the event. Approximately one hundred people attended.

October 16: The first Treherbert Food & Craft Fayre is held on Church Street Treherbert. 9am until 5pm. (images)

This page remains the copyright of Sean James Cameron.
Source: "Then & Now. Rhondda: From Cwmparc to Blaencwm" by Sean James Cameron.
First published 2001. Used by kind permission.